Friday, September 21, 2012

Homemade Halloween, Part the Second

Hey y'all,
So I have the second installment of Homemade Halloween for ya.  But first, let me tell you what I have been up to.

I literally spent hours baking last night, to make 3 dozen cookie cups for, my baby, Albert's kindergarten class.  Today they had an ice cream party to celebrate completing the alphabet, so I baked cookie cups for them to put their ice cream in.  I originally got the idea on pinterest and I experimented with them a couple months ago.

This is the picture from pinterest.  However, mine didn't exactly turn out like this.


Here are my cookie cups.  They still turned out pretty good.  And I used the rest of the dough to cut out letters, since they were celebrating the alphabet.

I found that used I thicker dough that you can roll out and cut shapes with works best.  You can find my own, original recipe here.  And all you have to do is roll out the dough about a 1/4 inch thick and use a circle cookie cutter, or a cup or anything else, to cut circles.  Make sure you grease your cupcake pan REALLY good, because they can still be difficult to get off even if you slather it in butter (I prefer to use butter over sprays, I heard it is better for your pans and you don't get any funny tastes.). Cut circles that don't completely cover sides of the cups when you flip your pan over, make them a couple centimeters from the bottom because gravity will make them droop down to the bottom.  Then you just bake them until golden brown, you just have to watch them but mine took around 12 minutes to bake...

Here's Albert's class.


And here's my baby enjoying his well-deserved ice cream.  Doesn't that ice cream look delicious in it's little cookie bowl.  The cookie cups were a huge hit!

And here's our favorite teacher, Mrs. Melcher, she also taught Albert's big brother, Fernando..  (She said the "k" tastes like a "k") 

And you know those funky colored ones, everyone told me they looked like play-doh and I said, "You watch, I betcha the kids eat all of those.  And guess what,


they did! I was worried they were going to start fighting over them.  But Mrs Melcher warned them, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!"

Anyway, so on to Homemade Halloween stuff.  Today I made Albert a costume.  So, you know the video game "Zelda"?  I THINK I remember my mom telling me that Zelda was the name of the princess on the game and that the guy in green is named Link.  But I don't know for sure and I never really have been to into video games.  But we'll go ahead and say I'm right and call him Link.  So Albert wanted to be Link for Halloween.  So today we went to Goodwill and got him a green shirt for men, some brown pants (for girls ;]) and a belt all for $8.

 And here's what we came up with!  It's much cuter in person. So, I probably should have just gotten him a boy's shirt that was a couple sizes to big, but as soon as I walked into the store I saw a shirt in the perfect color green and I DO NOT like rummaging through all the clothes at Goodwill.  So I just grabbed it. So I had to hem the sleeves and the bottom hem of the shirt because it was just a bit longer than it needed to be.  But because I bought a shirt that was way too big, I had plenty of extra fabric to make his hat.


I didn't get a picture where you could see the hat really good, but I pretty much just sewed 2 triangles together and it turned out great!  You may have noticed the boots (also for girls).  They were an extra $6, but once he saw them, there was no convincing him I could make him cool pretend boots out of fabric.  So I went ahead an bought them.  Eh, what's $6 (a soda and a cheeseburger, if you didn't know).  He was happy and that makes me happy!

I'll holler at y'all later!
-Ashley


 


No comments:

Post a Comment